This week I found myself engrossed online looking at recipes at any chance I get! I’m looking at recipe books when I go into town and searching though my mother’s recipe books when I visit home. It seems because I am occupying myself with the activity of baking for 2hrs every week it is suddenly something I have in my head all the time although not always consciously, thus influencing my actions.
After looking at so many delightful recipes I asked a good friend what I should make. Cheesecake he suggested. That was it! I’d never made cheesecake before and due to the mishap of the fudge last week it was time to start something new. I googled cheesecake recipes (why not considering we are using the internet for this assignment) I came across a Baileys cheese cake recipe! I am a fan of baileys and had a bottle already. I was sold on this. The measurements were in pounds however and I had to convert them to kilograms this is when I started to doubt the possibility of the recipe as it required 1kg of cream cheese! Given the price of cream cheese this makes me reconsider this idea. I really wanted to make the cake especially for my friend to try (to praise me on my baking skills). I decided to halve the mixture. I went to the supermarket and bought the ingredients I needed, went home, and started with the base.
I found a food processor in the bottom of our pantry which would be excellent to crush the oreo cookies. However I could not get it to work. Instead I did the crushing the old fashioned way and put the biscuits into a bag, and hit them with a jam jar. The next problem I encountered was because id halved the mixture the base wouldn’t have covered the bottom of the tin I was using. O well. I thought 1kg of cream cheese here I come. I didn’t want to waste my fuel going back to the supermarket so I kindly asked my flatmate to do me a huge favour and get me some cream cheese – I would pay him in cheese cake. I them made the filling and put the cake in the oven to cook and were able to relax in the sun with a good book.
Once the cheese cake was cooked I let it rest at room temperature whilst I rummaged through my fridge to try and make room for the precious cake. I ended up cleaning and reorganising the fridge also which proves the activity of baking doesn’t just stop at making a cake. I then cleaned my dishes and the sugary mess I had created.
That night I couldn’t resist it. My flatmate came back from 4hrs of hunting and was ravenously hungry. I was feeling a little low and needed some praise. I cut the cheese cake which the boys were delighted to eat. I got the praise I was after. And the cheese cake was to die for! Although this was expected, due to the cost of the recipe. This could potentially be why people don’t engage in baking any more. It would have been far cheaper for me to buy a cardboard packaged cheese cake for the same price as 500grms of cheese. Although by baking a cheesecake, the pleasant aroma escalated around the house was amazing the taste of the product was excellent and the praise I received made it worthwhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment